I make a lot of pies-savory, sweet… you name it! Pies just plain make me happy. It’s a simple life, right? I have tried out a variety of recipes, ranging from family members to famous celebrities, and I just wasn’t quite happy with the results. What else to do than to create my own? I am completely satisfied with this basic recipe and I use it now with all our savory and sweet pies. When doing a more savory dish such as chicken pot pie or meat pie, I will add herbs into the mixture to give some added flavor. I hope you enjoy this kitchen staple as much as we do!
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- 2 cups white flour
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 1/3 cup cold water
- 1 TBS white vinegar
- Mix flour, salt, and baking powder in a large bowl.
- Cut in the butter with a pastry blender until it resembles course crumbs.
- Add in water and vinegar and mix until smooth (I use my hands and mix and knead to combine).
- Divide into 2 dough balls, wrap each in plastic, and then place in freezer for 15 minutes.
- Once done chilling, remove plastic wrap from dough, and roll out onto a floured area.
- Place rolled dough into pie pan and cut off excess, and then fill with whatever pie filling you like!
If you are doing a crust on top, use the second dough ball to form the crust topping. If using a different crust (like a crumble) or none at all, you can keep the second dough ball in the freezer to be used in the future. Just give it about 25 minutes to thaw before using.