As avid hunters, Paul and I like to stock our freezers with organic meat and fish that we’ve harvested ourselves. It’s rewarding to be able to nourish ourselves throughout the year, and the other night we enjoyed venison steak salads from the deer harvested last season. This salad is fresh, healthy, and takes minimal time to prepare!
- 1/2 pound venison steaks, thawed
- 1/2 cup Brianna’s French Style Vinaigrette
- 4 TBS butter
- 4 cups fresh spinach, arugula or baby kale
- 4 TBS gorgonzola
- 4 TBS sunflower seeds
- 1/2 cup sliced red onions
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Salt and pepper both sides of thawed steaks. Place in a dish and cover with Brianna’s French Style Vinaigrette. Let marinate several hours (I had mine marinate 10 hours while I was at work).
- Heat up cast iron skillet on high heat and melt 2 TBS butter. When cast iron skillet begins smoking slightly, place steaks on skillet and brown each side for 3-4 minutes.
- Place skillet in preheated oven and cook for 4 minutes for medium-rare, 8 minutes for medium, 10-12 for medium-well, and 16 for well done.
- While the steaks are cooking, place 2 cups fresh spinach in each serving dish. Top each serving dish with 1/4 cup red onions, 2 TBS gorgonzola, and 2 TBS sunflower seeds.
- Transfer cooked steaks to cutting board and slice into half-inch slices.
- Place sliced steak atop salad bed and serve with preferred dressing.